Is your child entitled to a Free School Meal?
Although all children in infant classes (reception, year 1 or year 2) will receive a free lunch meal, it is still important that you apply if you might be eligible. This is because, if your child is eligible, the school will receive £1,300 (2014-15) per pupil which is used to support the education of all pupils from lower-income families, to ensure that they get the same chances as other children. This can add up a lot of additional funding to a school and can be used to really help children to achieve well as they grow older.
To be eligible you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual taxable income that does not exceed £16,190
- Income-Based Job Seekers' Allowance
- Employment Support Allowance (Income Related)
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Dorset County Council no longer accept paper forms for free school meal eligibility checking and request that parentS go on line to Dorsetforyou.com to complete the electronic application form. The online application can be found at this address, https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/free-school-meals and there is an ‘Apply Now’ button prominently displayed on the page. A search of ‘free school meals Dorset’ or ‘Dorset free school meals’ from any search engine brings the correct page to the top of the searches too.
We will be happy to help you with your application online if you would like us to.